Thursday, 14 November 2013

Final Thoughts

We finally made it into Phuket; Au Chalong to be precise.  This marks the end of our scientific endeavours as we cannot sample in economic zones.  It's hard to believe that we made it all the way across the Indian Ocean and living as a land-lubber is staring us in the face.  We thought very briefly about continuing on, but that we have much to do here and hitting the high seas again will have to wait until our 2014 Expedition.  

I had a haunting feeling during our crossing that the oceans were virtually empty, somehow--and incredibly--devoid of life.  Sure we saw a pod of whales, two pods of dolphins, caught precious few fish and birds were few and far between, but the Indian Ocean is considered to be one of the worlds last untouched oceans.  Still many many days passed where we saw absolutely no sign of life.  Could it be that such a vast ocean supports so little life?  And if so, what could we expect to see on the Pacific or the Atlantic...  Anything at all?  

With this on my mind, I read a Sydney Morning Herald article: The Ocean Is Broken, about Newcastle yachtsman Ivan Macfadyen's experiences of his ocean crossings and the sobering state of the worlds oceans as he saw it.  He reports "huge tangles of synthetic rope, fishing lines and nets. Pieces of polystyrene foam by the million. And slicks of oil and petrol, everywhere. Countless hundreds of wooden power poles are out there, snapped off by the killer wave and still trailing wires in the middle of the sea."  He describes part of journey as 'sailing through a garbage tip.'  

As we sailed through some of the most remote atolls in the Maldives, we saw water bottles floating around, flip-flops, household detergent bottles and diapers.  The floating debris got worse as we approached Male, the main tourist hub of the Maldives.  In Thailand, we saw black rubbish bags filled with trash floating on the sea.  And single-use plastic bags were ubiquitous.  

It's tempting to think that whatever is happening to the worlds oceans does not affect life on land.  But that is just not the case.  A recent article in the The Strait Times in Singapore reports what we all knew already: that the world's fisheries are collapsing as a result of over-fishing.  

The good news is that sustainable fishing practices are starting to emerge.  The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) along with the World Wife Fund for Nature (WWF) organised Singapore's first Sustainable Seafood Business Forum.  The bad news is that fish from sustainable fisheries can cost anywhere from 20-40% more.    

There is plenty that we can all do, however.  We can forego the use of single-use plastic bags and bring our own reusable bag when you we shopping.  We can also change our buying habits by supporting sustainable fisheries.  Little things like that multiplied across millions of people has a tremendous impact.  

In the meantime, 
we will be busy forming the Indigo Foundation that will fund our future expeditions and the development of the sampling kits that will be fitted to our world cruiser participants.  Our work depends on the cooperation of our fellow cruisers.  If you are interested in participating, please contact Rachelle Lauro on rachelle (at) indigoexpeditions.com to be added to our growing list.  

35 comments:

1. Converse with your child/little girl and see whether they are encountering challenges with their scholarly accomplishments at school. Chemistry tuition

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me. Kindly keep blogging. Besides that Wisen has established as Best Corporate Training in Chennai .

Nowadays JavaScript has tons of job opportunities on various vertical industry. Know more about JavaScript Framework Training visit Corporate Training Companies in India.

This post gives me detailed information about theechnology. corporate training companies in india

Delete
    2. Java Training Institutes Java Training Institutes Java EE Training in Chennai Java EE Training in Chennai Java Spring Hibernate Training Institutes in Chennai J2EE Training Institutes in Chennai J2EE Training Institutes in Chennai Core Java Training Institutes in Chennai Core Java Training Institutes in Chennai

Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training

Delete
  2. Final thoughts Is a very important of every part of life. when you want to take final thing you should to take help with some body.An creative writers can help for your final thoughts.

ReplyDelete
  3. View here https://silveressay.com/ lots of great tips on related topics.

ReplyDelete

4. شركة نقل عفش
    اهم شركات مكافحة حشرات بالخبر كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذلك شركة رش حشرات بالدمام ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة الجوهرة من افضل شركات تنظيف الخزانات بجدة حيث ان تنظيف خزانات بجدة يحتاج الى مهارة فى كيفية غسيل وتنظيف الخزانات الكبيرة والصغيرة بجدة على ايدى متخصصين فى تنظيف الخزانات بجدة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش واثاث

ReplyDelete

5. شركة نقل عفش بالرياض وجدة والدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام

ReplyDelete
  6. Now, at this site you will find an information about parental control apps

ReplyDelete
  7. I truly like your composition style, awesome data, thankyou for posting. Adipex Online

ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! a wonderful post dude. Many thanks Even so I am experiencing problem with ur rss . Do not know why Can not enroll in it. Will there be everyone getting identical rss difficulty? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx bluetooth earbuds 

ReplyDelete
  9. An incredibly fascinating read, I might not concur completely, but you do make some extremely valid points. portable power bank 

ReplyDelete
  10. Wholesale Gucci Shoes Could be blogengine pretty much wordpress blogs somehow? Is required to be because it’s starting to be popluar currently. best dash cam 2018

ReplyDelete
  11. Just before you decide to create your own checklist to add an idea associated with what camping checklist ought to.
    Wine tours on the North Fork L.I. N.Y

ReplyDelete
  12. I don’t even know the way I stopped up right here, however I assumed this post was once good. I do not recognise who you might be but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger in the event you aren’t already Cheers!
    pure forskolin

ReplyDelete
  13. I have to show some thanks to the writer just for bailing me out of such a dilemma. As a result of surfing throughout the online world and coming across strategies that were not beneficial, I believed my entire life was well over. Existing minus the solutions to the difficulties you have resolved all through the post is a serious case, and the kind that would have negatively damaged my career if I had not discovered your web page. Your own personal know-how and kindness in playing with every part was tremendous. I’m not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come upon such a stuff like this. I can also at this moment look ahead to my future. Thanks very much for your specialized and results-oriented help. I won’t be reluctant to suggest your web site to anybody who needs guide on this subject matter.
    karton box tangerang

ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,I enjoy analyzing your blog site, Needed to go out of a small amount of comment to support you and wish that you good continuation. Wishing the paramount of luck for the blogging efforts.
    Bitcoin News

ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Might I export the image and usage that on my webpage? googflights

ReplyDelete
  16. Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appearance. I must say that you’ve done a superb job with this. Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Chrome. Excellent Blog! citation

ReplyDelete
  17. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success. If you know of any please share. Many thanks! Driver Download Dell

ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, it was an incredibly good post. In concept I would like to put in place writing similar to this moreover – spending time and actual effort to have a really good article… but what / things I say… I procrastinate alot and no means often get something accomplished. togel singapura 

ReplyDelete
  19. I had been just browsing occasionally along with to see this post. I have to admit that i’m inside hand of luck today if not getting this excellent post to see wouldn’t are achievable in my opinion, at the very least. Really appreciate your articles. epson wf 3640 driver 

ReplyDelete
  20. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. face shave

ReplyDelete
  21. Howdy sir, you have a really nice blog layout .   Alex Mirza 

ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, i like the way you post on your blog”     HP printer driver

ReplyDelete
  23. There is a lot of other plans that resemble the exact laws you acknowledged below. I will continue researching on the ideas. epson xp 420

ReplyDelete
  24. Are you looking for the perfect weight loss solution?  pure forskolin

ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  26. Offer one-on-one Help to make a customized health care advertising plan which will exceed {Your own goals and objectives medical device marketing

ReplyDelete
  27. Without Standing on Google neighborhood your company may as well not exist. It is time to seo companies los angeles

ReplyDelete
  28. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike. buy spartagen xt

ReplyDelete
  29. hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon.. Public

ReplyDelete
  30. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today.. Click Here

ReplyDelete
  31. Just wanna input on few general things, The website design is perfect, the articles is very great : D. chinese class

ReplyDelete